User Name: Password: Register
Undecima Forum Bugs & Modifications Eureka! Future: Making pvp viable, but fair - novel ideas
Future: Making pvp viable, but fair - novel ideas
Topic:
Page 1 out of 2 Page(s)
GO
1 2 » Last
15-Mar 2018 22:33 #1
Fysh
Wyvern Master

User
Active
Future: Making pvp viable, but fair - novel ideas
Some people hate pvp, and some people love pvp. I'm somewhere in the middle, and can enjoy both types of games. Ideally though, it would be good if we could attract both sorts of players. And this idea is really about giving both types what they want, without impeding the others.

The current game is heavily biased to non-pvp. It is possible to attack other players,, but all the systems in the game are biased heavily towards the defender, not really making it a viable option if you also want to progress in the game.

My solution is Mirrored levels. Level 1 is unchanged, but from level 2 onwards, there are two equivalent routes, one of which is pvp friendly, and one is safe from pvp. The key point is that when a player progresses from one level to the next, they get to choose which route they want to follow. So when moving up from level 1, players get to choose to enter a safe level 2, or a more pvp focused level 2.

When changing level again, by going up, or being knocked down, etc, the player can choose again. Therefore a player can move from a non-pvp level to a pvp focused level or vice versa. This enables all players to play the game in the style that suits them, and for people to give pvp a try.

I would envisage there being two special levels; level 1 is pvp safe, and (because of the Crown) level 11 is more pvp focused.

pvp focused levels would play exactly the same, except have the restrictions on pvp removed or lessened. For instance speeding up siege weapons, removing the gold penalty for attacking at long distances, and maybe some other small adjustments.

This game has everything to make combat interesting: diplomatic relations, intercepting and counter-attacking, interesting and diverse classes, a novel approach to siege weapons, and a whole lot more! It would be good if we could encourage more people to play, and give all of them the play experience that they want!
ForumAdmin liked this
disliked this
15-Mar 2018 23:02 #2
ForumAdmin
Vindicator

Administrator
Active
Re: Future: Making pvp viable, but fair - novel ideas
That's something to talk about Happy

As I see, PvP in the games like Undecima can be mostly of three kinds - farming weeker or inactive players, ganging up against a lone player or smaller group of players, and of course a fair fight against an equally active and developed opponent.

From my experience, it would be mostly the former two as a fair fight will probably bring some glory, but not that much profit. I have some ideas to encourage fair fights between somewhat equally opponents, but frankly, I don't want to encourage farming or ganing up in Undecima.

I may be think of something later Wink

Thank You

If you have any questions or problems related to Undecima, do not hesitate to ask them on the forum, send me a private message, or email to support@undecima.com
liked this
disliked this
15-Mar 2018 23:10 #3
Fysh
Wyvern Master

User
Active
Yes, I agree. We don't want farming of either active or inactive players.

Encouraging fair fights would be good, but I'm not sure how to make it happen. Fair fights could be expensive, but also gives good rewards in terms of different achievements, and hero xp.

As I play, ideas just keep popping into my head. I may as well share them! Happy
ForumAdmin, Temporary liked this
disliked this
15-Mar 2018 23:25 #4
ForumAdmin
Vindicator

Administrator
Active
Yes, please do - I greatly appreciate it Well Done

Even something that doesn't look too appealing at first (to me Rolling Eyes ), may trigger later some other ideas (yours or mine or somebody else's), which may turn into something really cool Cool

If you have any questions or problems related to Undecima, do not hesitate to ask them on the forum, send me a private message, or email to support@undecima.com
liked this
disliked this
25-Mar 2018 22:20 #5
Fysh
Wyvern Master

User
Active
I have changed my opinion on this. I think pvp is pretty fairly balanced as it stands.

It seems it is possible (although extremely difficult) to capture a soul gem from an active player.

Ram speed of 5 is reasonable. The only thing is perhaps catapults could go to speed 2? It's not a big deal, because you don't really need them, but speed 1 makes them wholly useless. Usually your nearest neighbour is around 25 units away, which is currently 5 hours for rams (10 hours round trip). Catapults take 25 hours, which is more than 2 days to make an attack! I just like to see as many of the cool things in the game as possible, actually have some use.
liked this
disliked this
25-Mar 2018 22:45 #6
ForumAdmin
Vindicator

Administrator
Active
Catapults are slow for a reason Wink you can't damage civil buildings with your rams, only with catapults (not always, but there is a formula for this). And when you equip catapults, your siege potential doubles, so you can damage and destroy almost all fortifications (walls and towers) in one big attack.

If somebody is placed not very near you, it means you have some significant difference in your Scores and as such, the other player probably would not be very keen to engage in fighting and if the stronger player still wants to use the full power of siege weapons, he/she still can, but it comes at cost of your time Happy

That's how I see it and probably not going to change it at least at the moment.

Thank You

Temporary liked this
disliked this
26-Mar 2018 00:04 #7
Fysh
Wyvern Master

User
Active
Tying up a big chunk of your army for 2, 3, 4 days just to potentially destroy 1 or 2 levels of someone's civil building is pretty pointless. The sheer cost of the journey alone would be astronomical Shocked - and probably outweigh the cost of any building levels you destroy many many times over!

I'm not particularly bothered about destroying someone's buildings, but it's just a shame when you tease us with these great toys that are not quite useful Teasing
Last Edited: 00:05 26-Mar-18 by Fysh
liked this
disliked this
26-Mar 2018 00:18 #8
ForumAdmin
Vindicator

Administrator
Active
Just wait when somebody is close to you Wink
liked this
disliked this
26-Mar 2018 03:13 #9
Fysh
Wyvern Master

User
Active
I would simply scout it, to see what I was dealing with, then I would still have 24 hours to build the appropriate troops so that I could counter-attack it. But the key thing is, I wouldn't counter-attack until it was very close to my town - that attack will be crippling the finances of my opponent, and I might as well let it cripple them for as long as possible. Angry

The only time catapults are likely to be scary is when people are using the teleportation gates on level 11 ! Big Grin
liked this
disliked this
26-Mar 2018 03:49 #10
Fysh
Wyvern Master

User
Active
Also, just to clarify, if you just defend against a catapult attack, do the catapults fire before the battle, or only if the attacker wins the battle?
liked this
disliked this
Page 1 out of 2 Page(s)
GO
1 2 » Last ^
ticket image
Insert Image
Enter URL of the Image you want to insert:

Or browse to a file on your local computer:
(allowed file types: bmp, gif, jpeg, and png; maximum size: 500Kb)
Copyright © 2015 Undecima . All rights reserved.